BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 16, 2007

Family Matters

"Staying home on a Friday night?" the chinese dude who owned the store just below my pad asked as I was paying for the pack of cigarettes. I threw him a smile.

For some reason today, I feel pretty home-sick. I miss my dad. I miss our tennis games, our trips to Baskin Robbins. I miss my mom. I miss her shouts. I miss her cooking. I miss my sister Jehan. I miss her hugs of comfort. I miss my brother Amir. I miss his witty self. I miss my brother Waleed. I miss our long conversations. I miss my brother Zen. I miss our drinking sessions. I miss my sister Ness. I miss our debates, fights, then trips to McDonalds afterwards. I miss my brother Mansour. I miss his patience as I throw tantrums at him. I miss my brother Ayman. I miss his radical thoughts. I miss my brother Othman. I miss his weirdness. I miss our cats Yuri, Katrina, Gloria, Salem, Tigger and KitKat. I miss home.

That is exactly why I am not out partying. I just want to sulk home alone in my pad. All alone.

When I was in Manila for vacation, my brother was gonna throw out some papers and stuff that belonged to my sister. It was taking a lot of space plus it was of no use anymore he said. I took the whole box with me back here in Cagayan. I found a write-up my sis did and it reminded me so much of the good times with my family back in Jeddah. Here it is:


Desert Sun
"Get your foot off my face!"
"You touched my nose!! Mom!! He's at it again!!"
"I wouldn't touch your nose if you paid me a million."
"Move and you're dead."
"Dad, are you whistling? Are you counting to ten?"
"Mom, did you leave the faucet on in the kitchen on purpose?"
This is the ordinary conversations that takes place inside our Isuzu Trooper when we're traveling. I have eight brothers. You get the picture. On this particular day, the boys are hyped. We are going on a family trip to Riyadh (capital city of Saudi Arabia) from Jeddah (tourist capital of Saudi Arabia) to visit some cousins for the summer. It is a 12-hour long trip; that is, if we make at least four quick 30-minute stopovers at gasoline staitons cum restaurants dotted along the sides of the desert road.
Traveling to Riyadh is not new to us; we've done this several times before. And everytime, on the first couple of hours of the trip, this same scene is replayed. My father would be driving, whistling to himself most probably to drown the sounds of our bickering. He would have his Frank Sinatra tape playing, perhaps in an attempt to calm down the passengers. No such luck. My mother would be on the front seat, mentally checking and re-checking the list of things we need, if we have enough to eat until the next stopover, if she plugged all the appliances at home, and maybe calculating how much time it will take for me and my brothers to quit kicking the back of her seat. It is at these times thast I have the utmost respect for my my parents' patience.
Our seating arrangements whave been prepared by my old folks beforehand. Siblings are strategically positioned according to their traits to avoid clashes and to make the least possible noise. The moody sibling gets the seat next to the silent who is then seated next to noisy sibling with the eldest (and therfore, most 'controlling') sibling right next to him, etc. etc. I am the only sibling who doesn't have a trait. I am the GIRL sibling, therefore, I get any seat I want; in this case, the window seat behind my father's. I look at my parents who are pretending nothing is happening. Oh, yes, my father was right. We did not take the airplane, not because it would be expensive (yeah, yeah, sure, sure), but because traveling by car with the whole family builds character. I concur. Look at all these characters we've built so far, and not even halfway through the journey!
An hour and a half later, the boys are sedated. Two are snoring, one has earphones plugged on-- supposedly so only he can hear the sounds coming from his Discman, but by the volume he's going by, he might as well have brought his speakers, one is preoccupied with his GameBoy, three are talking in hushed tones-- most probably about girls. I look out the window into the vast, vast desert and watch in amazement as the little whirlwinds pass us by. We set out at about 3 pm, so that by this time, the sun is preparing to set. Outside it is hot, hot, hot, and our air condition is working it big time. The desert is swathed in an orange-red light, making it all so romantic. I sigh into the window and watch my breath fog up the glass. Nighttime is slowly creeping up on us, and in a matter of time, it will be dark, except for the glow of our headlights, the white stripes of paint on the road, and the signs on the side, 45 km exit to Basrah, etc.
"What if you were left out there, lost in those mountains , with only sand as your companion, at this time of the day? What would you do? What if you suddenly bump into this huge monster who breaks you in half and devours you? What if you see a ghost?"
This comes from my seatmate, the talkative sibling, breaking my reverie. I nudge him away and close my eyes to shut him out. But I think about what he said. What if...?
I awake to the sounds of our car doors opening and slamming. The fluorescent light of the gasoline station momentarily blinds me. I get out of the car and follow my brothers to the little restaurant on the side. Everyone is stretching and yawning. The early evening sky still, and silence surrounds us. We enter through the Family Entrance of the restaurant. There is always a Family Entrance and a Male-Only Entrance for those traveling alone. There are booths with curtains around them for privacy. Two of them are occupied by Arab families. We take the third one from the door. A man appears to take our orders. We don't really have a choice, they only serve Arab Khabsah, which is Java rice with spiced whole chickens. The man offers us "Bebsi" for our drinks. (Arabs do not have the letter P, so everything with that sound comes of f as B) and we nod our heads so he would leave us and hurry with our orders. We are all starving. My brothers rub their arms, the night desert air is cool outside, and the door is wide open, bringing the draft in. My father starts to talk on how ancient Arabs made their houses (with mud). And goes into the details. We fidget around, trying to sound interested. We've heard this one twice before.
After thirty minutes, the waiter comes up to us and serves us our dinner. It was good., and we all finished our food in a very short time. My father goes through the Male-Only Entrance, where the cashier is and pays while we head back to the car. More groaning and complaining from my brothers, who long ot stay out of the car. They hate the cramped positions they get. But we are all ushered in by mom. As we resume our road trip, I watch the outline of the mountain as they go by and let them lull me to sleep. We still have about eight hours to reach our destination. I expect more complaining, more bickering, more request to go to the bathroom. I close my eyes and drift to slumber.
On my third waking-up , we are already inside the city of Riyadh. We are greated by the old, magnificent buildings of the oldest university in the Middle East, the King Saud University. The buildings are very low, no skyscrapers, no towers. The streets are immaculate. It's 4 am. The sky is brightening up. My brothers slowly wake up and stretch about in their limited spaces. I smile inwardly. We have arrived.
***
We are not an interesting family. Nothing special. Just the typical family everyone's got. But we are pretty entertaining though. I think. Sigh...I miss everybody. I hate being a grown-up.

21 comments:

Baby Rockstar said...

First of all. Ooooh that Zen bastard is gonna get it. THROWING MY PAPERS AWAY?? NO USE?? WHAT?? DID I NOT HAVE MY PAPERS ALL NEATLY PACKED IN A NICE BOX WITH FLOWERS ALL OVER IT?? (Yes, that's me screaming ALL CAPS) My papers weren't even in his way, that little #@(^&^(%$!!!

Anyway. Ewww. I remember that piece. I wrote it about 4 years ago or something, for my creative writing class. Yech. I'm ashamed of it. No wonder my professor thought that was the worst thing she'd ever read. Hehehe.

You know what I miss? All of us in one room just talking, Polok and Zen on the guitars, and making fun of our neighbors or of movies we'd seen. Nice.

I also miss going out at 1 or 2am to buy DVDs and some food, come back, and watch movies till 6am.

I miss drinking sessions with cousins and the crazy aftermaths. LOL.

I miss going to Friomixx.

I miss our stupid little Christmas and New Years Parties, and your little Margaritas. Hahaha.

Ah, good times.

AphroditeShari said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww... that is such a GREAT PIECE!! omg baby rockstar.. how did ur professor NOT like it??

i swear u guys.. that it cud have easily been a story about us.. LOL>. with a few adjustments ofcourse.. god i miss road trips... i miss fighting in the car.. and yelling at whoever is poking me with their elbow.. pushing someones leg who purposly crossed their leg OVER the invisible lines we put to keep to each others space.. lool..

god i hate growing up... things were so much easier then..

DeVille said...

baby rockstar: actually it was taking a lot of space. the house aint so empty anymore, i mean they got stuff now. oh and the papers weren't packed in a box...it was stacked with some of ur old magazines. enwez no need to worry i saved em all.:> hehehe
it was not how u wrote it that was bad for the professor. it was what you wrote! you were supposed to write about the memorable place you went to with your family not the trip going there. that's what i saw in his(?) comments.
hey...u forgot about the doobie!:>lol that was hard to forget.

aphroditeshari: i agree with you, it was a great piece indeed.
really? u also have trips where u get bothered by your father's whistling (and take note) thru his nose!?:>
only kids love to grow up...

AphroditeShari said...

haha... no.. my dad didnt whistle through his nose... LOL.. we usually got annoyed by the choice of music they played and my parents singing along to oldies.. (which btw I've come to love dearly in my adult life.. lol ) but just reading the whole thing.. brought back so many memories.. lol.. my dad wud have more likely been the one to start tellin us about the mud houses and how things were and stuff.. tellin us stuff that we have heard b4.. and we just sit there and fidget thinkin of a way out of the whole story.

my sisters and i.. (even now with my brothers now in the family) we fought waaay too many times travelling from one place to another.. my dad didnt have much patience with us as ur dad did.. I'm sure. but the basic scene is pretty much the same.

lol.. actually it wasnt just travelling.. we fought each time we got into the car.. lol trips to the beach or the park.. god.. good memories.. LOL

DeVille said...

but hey ur still together. atleast u got that part.:>

AphroditeShari said...

yes, i have to agree.. we do still have each other.. but i just have a feeling that we are all goin to get married right after each other.. and the only ppl left at home will b my youngest sis and my two brothers.. i cant imagine how hard it will be to cope for my parents.

DeVille said...

how many are married among you guys?

2istedgirl said...

awwwwwwwwww ... sweet little memories ... aphroditeshari remember when we were in the states before we came here and daddy tried to teach us Arabic and he kept turning on that stupid tape the translation thing .. man! every time he would put it on .. it would magically put me to sleep .. hehehehehe...
i remembered also during road trips .. when daddy or mommy for that matter would start yelling at us to be quiet .. and then daddy saying that he would stop the car to reach back and slap us if we didnt stop .. LOL .. even though he has never done that .. it ALWAYS worked .. hehehehehe ..

DeVille said...

i've always figured you two were sisters!:>

AphroditeShari said...

deville: none of us are married yet.. but i have a feeling its goin to be like a row of dominos.. right after the other..
lol.. i thought u always knew we were sisters :P

2istedgirl:
loool i remember those days..
remember when we didnt live in Jeddah.. and we had to take the 4 hr drive here for vacations and then back home.. lol.. god i think those days we fought the most.. yelling at each other to stop touching each other.. tattling on the other sayin.. "MOMMY, SUMMER'S BREATHING ON ME!!" lool..tellin each other to move over.. thats pretty much ALL we fought about eh?

2istedgirl said...

APHRODITE: oh my GOD!! .. i do miss those days .. its funny to think abt it now .. but GOD .. i remember i used to REALLY get annoyed when summer used to look at me .. and thats why i ALWAYS said "mommy!! she is looking at me again!" hahahahahaha!! i swear .. she used to torment me with her eyes *looks around for summer* *rofl* ... back then i could swear that her mission in life was to haunt me ..
remember when she got me to believe that she was adopted? and i cried my eyes out!! hahahahaha .. and then she got me to believe that aliens are REALLY after her?
*sigh* .. :)

DEVILLE: yea we're sisters .. oops!! hehe .. did you not know that?? hahahahaha
sorry ..

NESS: aren't you our friend?? aren't you supposed to like PROPERLY introduce us ... *aslan ma 3indik salfah ya 7omara! agoolik! roo7ee rowagee almanga!!*
hahahahaha!!! "JAMBOO!!"
hehehe .. i still cant remember when we started that thing .. *scratches head*

DeVille said...

actually i've always thought that shari and suzann are just one person.:> yeah i think we deserve some formal introduction. but i guess u oughta do it guys.:>

AphroditeShari said...

shari and suzann just ONE person!?? Grrr... we are ANYTHING but one person :P *pouts around the room* I'm not talkin to u anymore! *slams door*

2istedgirl said...

APHRODITE: what is your problem? LoL ..

DEVILLE: ahem ahem .. well the one that just slammed the door was shari or sharifa .. she would be known as the artist ..
me? i am suzann .. i would be known as the weird one that should not hang out with ness alone bcoz other wise we would be lost on an island with a friend named nadia tryint to figure out who is the real nadia?! *rofl* .. dont try to figure that one out .. its a "ness, suzie, nadia" thing .. hehehehehehe

and who might you be .. Mr. adnan?? you would be known as who? besides ness's bro??

DeVille said...

aphroditeshari: hey, hey!:> calm down. hehehe:> honest mistake here...

2istedgirl: okay...so ur the mind-boggling one.:>hehehe. me? well, i really dont know who i am. i am in the process of figuring out though.:> so that's the only difference ness and i have...besides me being a boy that is.:>

2istedgirl said...

DEVILLE: good thing that you're trying to figure it out now .. hope u do soon .. :)

DeVille said...

yeah i do too. thanks.:> you might actually tell me who i am. if u just keep on tuning on my blogsite.:>

AphroditeShari said...

DEVILLE:
sure sure.. honest mistake huh? *crosses arms over chest and pouts* :P

2istedgirl:
yea yea.. u three shud go get lost.. :P make sure nadia's head is still attached.. Ness doesnt sit on a box of melted chocolate and you dont step in horse poo!
dear god.. cud u imagine all incidents happnening on the SAME DAY?? eek!

DeVille said...

hahaha:> what's with the hostility my dear one? oh cmon stop pouting...:>

2istedgirl said...

seriously .. what is the problem?? :scratches head:

AphroditeShari said...

*pouts in the corner all alone* i want some chocolate icecream! :P loool